When you think of popcorn, you probably imagine a heaping container of movie theater-style popcorn, drizzled with melted butter. Yes, this type of popcorn is delicious, but it’s also jam-packed with saturated fat and sodium, which can easily add hundreds of calories to your daily diet. However, there is a healthier way to prepare popcorn. After all, popcorn is a whole grain, and when prepared appropriately, can make for a healthy and satisfying snack.
Below, check out a few unique and craveworthy ways to season basic, budget-friendly popcorn, straight from Live Eat Learn.
First, pick a seasoning:
• Ranch: ½ teaspoon dried dill, ½ teaspoon dried chives, ½ teaspoon garlic powder, ½ teaspoon onion powder, ¼ teaspoon salt, ¼ teaspoon pepper
• Cinnamon Sugar: 2 Tablespoon powdered sugar, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, ¼ teaspoon salt
• Gingerbread: 1 ½ Tablespoon powdered sugar, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, ¼ teaspoon ground ginger, ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
• Coconut Curry: 1 Tablespoon unsweetened shredded coconut, ½ teaspoon curry powder, ¼ teaspoon salt
• Dorito: 2 Tablespoon nutritional yeast, ¼ teaspoon garlic powder, ¼ teaspoon onion powder, ¼ teaspoon cumin, ¼ teaspoon paprika, ¼ teaspoon chili powder, ¼ teaspoon salt
• Mexican Chocolate: 1 Tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder,1 Tablespoon powdered sugar, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, ¼ teaspoon salt, a pinch of cayenne pepper
• Taco: 1 Tablespoon taco seasoning, 1 Tablespoon nutritional yeast
Now, gather materials for your base:
• 2 tablespoons popcorn kernels (substitute with a bag of microwavable popcorn, if desired)
• 1 teaspoon oil
1. Mix: In a small bowl, combine the ingredients to your seasoning of choice.
2. Pop: Prepare popcorn in either the microwave or traditionally on the stove. Spray or drizzle oil onto popcorn, tossing to evenly coat.
3. Serve: Sprinkle seasoning over popcorn and toss to coat once more. Serve warm.
There’s nothing like expanding your meal plan with a new recipe! Oxford at The Boulevard Apartments in Corinth, Texas is proud to introduce you to new meal ideas that will keep your family and friends coming back for more.